Friday, September 11, 2009

How bout them wings!

So this past week I was in Boston visiting family and eating my way to oblivion. I just returned on Wednesday and I knew I would not have time Thursday to go food shopping. I needed to look to see what’s on hand. Low and behold a package of wings in the freezer! Thinking I might marinate them and grill them (it has been HOT here) that was quickly put aside when my husband got wind…at his request my buffalo wings needed to make an appearance. I have a Delonghi Deep Fryer. Its not too big and it really keeps the temperature nice. I am not savvy nor coordinated enough to do this in a big pot.

In order to do this for company… You can easily fry the wings the day before and heat them in a CONVECTION oven on a sheet pan and then toss with the sauce right before serving. I have done them this way and you really cannot tell the difference. The blue cheese dressing make ahead the day before for sure and please make sure you use a cheese that you would eat with a glass of wine. Same thing with the hot sauce, make sure to use your favorite. We are partial to Crystals cuz that’s what they serve down in New Orleans. I usually serve this with a simple salad if its just us and some killer beer.

A few tips on frying…rely on a thermometer for temperature. When adding wings, add them one at a time. IF you add them all at once the oil will bubble up and overflow and can be very dangerous. I usually cook my wings for 12-15 minutes depending on the size. The best way to know if they are done is there will be hardly any noise and bubbles in the oil and they kind of feel light and float on the top. Not to mention the beautiful golden color.



Buffalo Wings
• oil for deep frying (I prefer Peanut)
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1/4 cup hot sauce
• 1 dash ground black pepper
• 1 dash garlic powder
• 1 dash onion powder
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 10 chicken wings

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees . The oil should be just enough to cover wings entirely, an inch or so deep or to your deep fryers recommended setting.
2. Combine the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir together and heat until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.
3. In a Ziploc bag mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Place chicken wings in bag and shake until they are evenly coated. Refrigerate for 60 to 90 minutes.
4. Fry coated wings in hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Place wings in a bowl, add hot sauce mixture and stir together, making sure every wing is evenly coated. Serve immediately.

Blue Cheese Dressing
• 2 1/2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
• 3 tablespoons buttermilk
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
• salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, stir all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
NOTE: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand (which I never do) mix together the vinegar and 3 T milk and let sit for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

0 comments: