Friday, October 23, 2009

Fast Food for Fish Lovers


While I do love to cook I just sometimes want it to be quick and easy. Many nights I just don't have the energy to be creative but I do want to eat good food. My husband and I are "trying" to cut down on red meat so we wanted to do a week with no red meat involved and I was feeling a bit lazy this week…The first thing that comes to mind for fast home cooking is Trader Joes. While I lived in MA TJ's was very hard to come by. Out here in CA they are like Dunkin Donuts. You can spit in any direction and hit one. I avoided TJ's as much as I could when I moved here because it was small, the selection wasn't great for my entire shopping list and it was always freakin crowded! I figured out the time to go (first thing in the morning) and I slowly go through the market and I find these little gems. So far this week I have managed to cook Shrimp Stir Fry and Fish Tacos all from TJ's and some Clam Chowder. All super fast (that's under an hour to me) and easy.


**We had this shrimp stir fry at a friends house for dinner one night. He bought the marinated veggies at Whole Paycheck, errr… I mean Whole Foods. Just added precooked shrimp and it was elegantly served. Of course I thought he slaved all day marinating and chopping, devaining and peeling. NOT! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and adapted it.


Shrimp Stir Fry
Serves 4

2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
3 green onions, chopped
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (TJ FIND)
1 cup frozen Oriental mixed vegetables, thawed (TJ FIND)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
**if you like heat to your stir fry add in ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic powder and ginger; set aside. If you want extra sauce to go over the rice then double.
In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry broccoli in oil for 2 minutes. Add red pepper and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, Oriental vegetables and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer.
Stir cornstarch mixture and stir into shrimp mixture. Add the peanuts. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.


I serve with Jasmine rice which you should make extra put in the fridge and make Fried Rice with a few days later.


**My husband and I travel to Mexico a lot and we love the country, not so much the food. I know, how could we live in California and not love Mexican Food? Hey, its not the only thing to eat out here! We do however LOVE fish tacos! Like croissants in Paris, Fish tacos just taste better in Mexico. I have eaten them with grilled fish and fried fish and to my hearts dislike my favorite is the fried. If I was doing a taco party I would have no problem frying or grilling up some fish but for an easy meal I love these batter fried fish pieces I found at Trader Joes.


Fish Tacos

Serves 2

4 tortillas soft or 6 taco shells hard
1 package frozen fried halibut fillets cooked according to package (on foil lined pan) (TJ FIND)
Fish Taco Sauce
Shredded cabbage (I like fine shredded just cabbage not coleslaw)
Shredded cheese (I like Mexican)
Limes
Chopped cilantro


Fish Taco Sauce (my brother in law invented this…OMG!)
Serves 4
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup mayo (I like the olive oil one)
1 tablespoon of hot sauce (adjust to your taste)
Juice from half a lime
Pinch of cumin

 Wisk ingredients until smooth and refridgerate. Can do up to 24 hours in advance.

 I like to heat my tortillas under a wet paper towel in the microwave for about a minute. Then spread on the sauce, 2 pieces of fish, cabbage, cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

 I also MUST have these with a margarita. I have tried a million different concoctions but to me the best has been equal parts Tequila (your favorite), Cointreau, fresh lime juice, and a splash of simple syrup. Remember your margarita will only be as good as the Tequila you use. My current favorite is 1800. There are smoother out there I know but I actually like the taste of tequila. I like mine on the rocks with only half the glass rimmed with salt. Shake it up, stirring is for sissy's and drink!

 **Being from New England I am pretty picky about my clam chowder. I like it so that a spoon can stand up in it. This recipe is like that so if you like it thinner add less flour. I have also done this recipe with bacon in it and its really good but that's not traditional NE Chowda. I have access to some amazing sourdough bread bowls and I like to serve it in that, it just makes it that much more fun to eat! This is actually better the next day. Heat slowly you don't want to overcook the clams they get chewy.



 Clam Chowda
Serves 4 for dinner

3 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams (unless you have access to fresh)
1 bottle of clam juice
1 cup minced onion
1 cup diced celery
2 cups cubed potatoes
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart half-and-half cream (I use the fat free)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste

Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery and potatoes. Add juice from bottle and enough water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and canned clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.


GADGET!
The Vidalia Onion Chop Wizard http://www.amazon.com/vidalia-chopper/dp/B000MVGYOI
So, I hate chopping. Especially dicing onion. It kills me. I will do anything to avoid this but I just cannot bring myself to purchase pre-diced veggies. I discovered this in Bed Bath and Beyond and I use it a few times each week. It has 2 different chopping sizes and you just put your veggie on the grate and press down. It has a measuring guideline on the side and everything goes into the dishwasher. LOVE IT!

0 comments: