Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bickford’s Apple Pancake




THE Bickford's Apple pancake brings only good memories. Actually Bickford's in general brings back great memories. I have spent many mornings there with family and many late nights there with friends. Bickford's is the North East's Cracker Barrel. I have to say though Cracker Barrel is realllly good. Thank goodness I don't live near one…

The apple pancake is called a Dutch baby and the German apple pancake. I really don't care what they call it I LOVE it! You can easily put it over the top and add warm maple syrup….mmmmm. I do think that cooking this in a cast iron pan is essential. It took 25 minutes from start to table which is great for me for a weekend breakfast. For the pancake shown below it was for a dinner, which, having breakfast for dinner is always a fantastic ending to a day.

I think that the recipe is for a 6-8" pan, I did this in a 10" pan and I think it came out a bit too thin. Other than it being a little thin this tasted VERY much like what I remember at the restaurant.
I cut the apple really thin and it was cooked perfectly.

The source for this recipe is supposed to be from Bickford's restaurant and I have to say I believe it!

Gadget: While this really isn't a gadget I feel that it's a tool that's absolutely necessary in your kitchen. I use this as much as I use my nonstick sauté pan. I bought it onsale for about 12$ at Cost Plus World Market. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?idProduct=3924


Bickford's Apple Pancake
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 large medium size apples
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix sugar and cinnamon.
Mix flour, milk and eggs together.
Melt butter in cast iron skillet (this is essential). Remove from heat. Pour mixture into skillet.
Peel and slice thinly the apples. Place on top of mixture.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake 20 minutes. Serve from cast iron skillet.

0 comments: