Monday, February 22, 2010

The Fishwich


I was reading one of several blogs that I follow and noticed a fish sandwich and WOW that was such a blast from the past! I knew instantly that was on the menu as quickly as possible.

I was not the normal kid who went to McDonalds and got the happy meal and was thrilled with the free toy. Sorry Dad, you were not going to get off that easy…NO, I was the kid who at the fish sandwich or as time went on the PLAIN cheeseburger before it was "make it your way" time. The poor guy had to stand there for 10 minutes while everyone else ate their meals while they "made" my fish sandwich (because I didn't like condiments…then). There are only two fish sandwiches that have rocked in my adult life. The first was a salmon sandwich I had in Alaska and the second is THIS cod sandwich. Two VERY different meals but the outcome was amazing. An honorable mention is the crab cake sammi at Cheesecake Factory but is that really a fish?

SO, when I saw this blog post I got really excited! Not to mention I have been baking my own bread lately and was ready to make some homemade rolls (that's another post). SO off to the store to pick up some white fish…

Now, for all you Bostonians get either haddock or scrod. All you west coasters, its all about the Cod. Basically any white flakey mild fish you can find would be good for this. Because the fish is delicate you should get a soft roll with a soft crust. Brioche would be fantastic.

You can make the batter, rolls and tarter sauce (if you make that homemade) several hours ahead of time. Unfortunately you need to fry and eat these babies up quickly. Since I only made these for myself and my husband I heated the oil in my wok. After you fry them put them on a cooling rack or something where air circulates around them. If you put it directly on a paper towel then the bottom will get soggy.

Sorry peeps, no pictures they were gone THAT fast! My husband keeps asking me when I will make them next…

Fishwich
1 lb white fish cut into 4 pieces to match your roll size (check for bones)
1 cup dark beer (I used Newcastle)
1 ½ t baking powder
1 cup flour
4 slices cheese (I used cheddar)
Sea salt
Pepper
Peanut oil

Combine flour, beer, baking powder, pinch of salt and pepper, blend (I used my immersion blender). Store in fridge until ready to fry fish)

Heat up oil, enough to immerse fish in. you want this to be a pan fry (not a sauté or a deep fry). 365 degrees

Dip fish in batter then fry in oil about 2 minutes on each side (depending on how thick the fish is)

Arrange sandwich: Roll bottom, cheese, fish, and tartar sauce, roll top -EAT!

0 comments: