Sunday, February 7, 2010

What came first the chicken or the shroom?


This is one of my husbands favorite chicken dishes. Its simple, meaning few ingredients and on the table in about 30 minutes with few dishes to clean up. YUP my type of meal after working and working out. I like eating this after exercising (I usually do it after work) because its not heavy, and its low fat. I found this recipe about 7 years ago in Everyday Food and I have adapted it to the point I really don't need to have the recipe in front of me. I also like cooking with chicken thighs, although you can easily do breast meat (you should pound it relatively thin). My husband will not eat dark meat, he has no idea I have been feeding him dark meat for 7 years…shhh…
Of course as the night wears on our sweet tooth kicks in and we HAVE to have something sweet. Whenever I have sour cream in the house this cake always makes its way to my cake dish. Other than the sour cream I usually have everything in my pantry. AND its another use for all that cake mix that's always on sale.


Braised Chicken and Shrooms4 boneless. Skinless chicken thighs fat removed
Salt/pepper
EVOO
1 pound mushrooms (cremini are my favorite for this) sliced
2 garlic cloves
½ cup white wine
1 ¾ cup chicken stock
2 T chopped fresh parsley


Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 T EVOO in large skillet over medium high heat and add chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to plate and keep warm.
Add 1 T EVOO to skillet and add mushrooms and ¼ t salt. Cover and cook until juices are released. Remove lid and cook over high heat stirring occasionally until mushrooms are almost cooked. Add garlic and wine and cook until evaporated. Add stock and parsley until liquid has reduced by half.
Return chicken to skillet, and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through.
Tip: I buy a large bulb of garlic and whirl it in my mini cuisinart and store in the fridge. It stays for a few weeks and you always have fresh chopped garlic on hand.



Marbled Chocolate Cake1 Cup semi sweet morsels
1 package yellow cake mix
4 eggs
¾ C sour cream
½ C oil (vegetable)
¼ C water
¼ C sugar


Preheat oven to 375. Grease pan of choice. I use a Bundt pan.
Microwave chocolate in a medium bowl for 1 minute. Stir and repeat at 10-20 second intervals until melted and smooth.
Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, water and sugar in large bowl. Beat on low speed until incorporated, then on high speed for 2 minutes
Stir 1 ½ cups batter into melted chocolate. Alternately spoon batters into prepared pan, beginning and ending with yellow batter.
Bake 35-45 minutes until done. Cook in pan 20 minutes then invert on wire rack to cool completely.
As for the cake "dressing". I leave it bare because we cannot come to an agreement in my house. I like caramel and coconut, he likes chocolate syrup and ice cream. Simple powdered sugar will do too.

0 comments: