Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Indian Food Experiment


I have started to read some really great blogs and I am learning so much and getting a wee bit more daring in the kitchen. I had always considered myself to be a pretty cultured cook…well, not really. So many different foods scare the daylights out of me. Let's see, Indian and Asian food along with Bread is pretty much at the top of my list. Well, I am the type to confront my fears. To give you proof, on my 30th birthday I told myself I was going to get over my fear of the ocean. I was a great swimmer but stick me in the ocean and I would probably drown. It was always the unknown for me. I turned to my (then boyfriend) now husband and asked him to join me on this venture. We took the classes near my home back in Boston and booked a trip to St. Lucia for our check out dives. The day came for me to hurl myself into the water…the clear blue, can see every speck of sand 100 feet down with little bright fish and cute turtles all around, water. It wasn't so bad, actually I got hooked. I am no way near feeling like a mermaid but I am glad I faced my fear because I would have never thought I would have enjoyed….Indian food!

I went to Allrecipes, my best resource so far and found a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala and some Naan. The Naan is SO easy and worth making! I was never a fan of curry and never have had a good Indian food experience until I went to my good friend's parent's home for dinner. It was spectacular. EVERYTHING this woman made was amazing. I still have no idea what I ate but I really don't care. Not sure this is worthy to go on her dinner table yet but a few more times and I might just have to have them over to my place for dinner!


Chicken Tikka Masala
You can easily do this recipe ahead of time and reheat or feel free to cook the chicken one day and then add to the sauce the next.

1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers

 1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped seeds removed (only ½ if you don't like heat)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and ginger. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour min or overnight.
  2. Preheat a grill or broiler for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate or foiled baking sheet. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
  4. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, and paprika. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.
 Naan Bread
I did this in my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook. I also proofed it in my oven. To do this turn your oven on to 200°F then right before you are ready to proof your dough turn the oven off and put in your dough. Also during step 4 I rolled out the dough in my kitchen and layered them on a tea towel then took them to the grill. They cook faster than you can roll them out. These freeze well and can keep for several days. This recipe probably makes 30 6-8" breads.

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (100°F)
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted (add garlic to this)
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
  2. Punch down dough. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow rising until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
  3. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
  4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

0 comments: